Friday, March 11, 2011

Whole lotta shakin' going on

Hi there. This seems as good a time as any to finally update this thing. By now, you all have heard about the crazy-catastrophic earthquake that hit northeastern Japan. I'm happy to report that Andrea and I are completely safe, and haven't experienced even the slightest physical or property damage.

In fact, we barely felt anything down here in Kanazawa. I was at work when it happened, and I wasn't even sure it was an earthquake that I was experiencing. My co-worker seemed to think the defective ceiling air conditioner was causing the shaking. I didn't even realize the extent of the damage elsewhere until I got home... but again, most of that damage is hundreds of miles away, akin to feeling a strong LA earthquake while in San Francisco.

So, much as I would like to have an excuse to skip work tomorrow, the big earthquake was pretty much a non-event in Ishikawa prefecture. It's pretty horrfying up in Miyagi prefecture, though, with the crazy tsunami flooding and everything. There's some excellent coverage at the BBC if you want to find out more.

1 comment: