Friday, August 21, 2009

Kenroku-en and Modern Art

After far too many days without a break, I finally had two days off to check out my new home, Kanazawa. Since we’ve landed it’s been unbearably hot and humid. My San Francisco fog accustomed body does not approve of the sudden change in climate I’ve forced it through. I’ve never before been in a place where it can be in the upper 80s and suddenly start pouring rain extremely hard.
On my first day off, however, I quickly learned that the rain is something to be thankful for. It was the first day without overcast skies since I got here and it was absolutely unbearable.
So we went to Kenrokuen, Kanazawa’s main tourist attraction and rated as one of the top three gardens of Japan. As pretty as it might be I didn’t enjoy a minute of it because I spent the entire time running from shaded area to shaded area, keeping an eye out for benches should I need to pass out. I got a few pictures, but I think I’m going to wait until fall before I head back.

Lucky for me, the Museum of 21st Century Art is across the street from the garden. A significant portion of it is free, including the air conditioning! The building is a giant circle and they have art bikes you can take a lap on.


This an awesome if a little OCD ongoing exhibit in which the artist is creating a giant maze entirely out of salt.


A dip in the pool sounds good right about now…

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I'll post my comment here although I've enjoyed almost every one of your posts. Great blog, you two. I'll be sure to look in often. I'm glad you're having a great time. Has school begun yet?

    Aunt Glenda

    ReplyDelete